qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: on how to use the qpid java client
Date Thu, 07 Jun 2007 16:50:52 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> On 07/06/07, Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@redhat.com> wrote:
>> If a user wants to use JMS, how does the presence of an alternative
>> force them to do anything different than what they would do if there is
>> only one Java API?
>
> The user may want to use JMS. But may not want to preclude using
> AMQP-specific functionality at a future date or now but only in some
> parts of the codebase. If to use AMQP-specific functionality the user
> cannot use "extended JMS" then you are forcing him to choose a
> proprietary API.

Of course, "extended JMS" is also a proprietary API (unless you push the
extensions through Java Community Process), but perhaps we can reduce
the percent of code that uses proprietary extensions.

In the long run, I think that standardizing our APIs is the best thing
for users, who will want standard APIs. But I think we should first come
up with a clean API to be standardized, one that is consistent across
language bindings.

Jonathan