qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: M2 -> Trunk Merge
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 13:59:59 GMT
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Can I ask why my commit revision 561578 was rollback?
>
> If there was a problem with my commit I would expect there to be a
> discussion on the list before over 2 hours of my work is thrown away!

Your work wasn't thrown away. You can recover it in your local checkout
with the following command, get it to build, and then resubmit the
changes. Nothing you have done was lost.

svn merge -r561364:561365 qpid/java

> Rafael as you rolled back the changes can you please explain.

The changes didn't build, as I said before there were conflict markers,
conflicting imports, calls to nonexistent methods. I did make an effort
to fix the problems, but after digging through a number of issues I
realized that the code hadn't been completely resolved, or compiled. At
that point I realized I had no way of knowing whether it would take 2
hours or 2 days to get the trunk building again, and given how many
other people are working on the trunk I really had no option but to
rollback the change as I couldn't leave the trunk in that state for an
indeterminate period.

> I can guarantee that some of the files that you have removed from
> trunk will *NEVER* impact the build process.

That may well be true, however I thought it better to just rollback the
whole change underneath the java dir so that you could easily recover it
with the svn command I supplied above and then pick up where you left
off in your conflict resolution.

> If my changes caused problems with the build then I apologise however
> I was unable to fully test the changes because the maven build system
> was already broken on trunk.

The fact that the build didn't work correctly out of the box on cygwin
was my fault. A situation for which I apologize, and have since
attempted to rectify. The code, however, was not broken at that point
since it was being regularly built on non windows boxes.

If the build is broken, please make every attempt to fix it or email the
list so that someone else can fix it. Submitting changes on top of an
already broken trunk without fixing it first only makes it harder to
unravel the reason that the build is failing, and the odds that you will
get your merge correct without ever building it are vanishingly small.

In the unlikely event that someone needs to break the build with a
submit, please let the list know so that the submit can be coordinated
with other people's oustanding changes, and a plan can be made to bring
the trunk back to working order in a reasonable timeframe.

--Rafael