qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: M2 -> Trunk Merge
Date Fri, 03 Aug 2007 12:29:42 GMT
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> On 01/08/07, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
>> Martin Ritchie wrote:
>>> Can I ask why my commit revision 561578 was rollback?
>>>
>>> If there was a problem with my commit I would expect there to be a
>>> discussion on the list before over 2 hours of my work is thrown away!
>> Your work wasn't thrown away. You can recover it in your local checkout
>> with the following command, get it to build, and then resubmit the
>> changes. Nothing you have done was lost.
>>
>> svn merge -r561364:561365 qpid/java
>>
>>> Rafael as you rolled back the changes can you please explain.
>> The changes didn't build, as I said before there were conflict markers,
>> conflicting imports, calls to nonexistent methods. I did make an effort
>> to fix the problems, but after digging through a number of issues I
>> realized that the code hadn't been completely resolved, or compiled. At
>> that point I realized I had no way of knowing whether it would take 2
>> hours or 2 days to get the trunk building again, and given how many
>> other people are working on the trunk I really had no option but to
>> rollback the change as I couldn't leave the trunk in that state for an
>> indeterminate period.
>>
>>> I can guarantee that some of the files that you have removed from
>>> trunk will *NEVER* impact the build process.
>> That may well be true, however I thought it better to just rollback the
>> whole change underneath the java dir so that you could easily recover it
>> with the svn command I supplied above and then pick up where you left
>> off in your conflict resolution.
>>
>>> If my changes caused problems with the build then I apologise however
>>> I was unable to fully test the changes because the maven build system
>>> was already broken on trunk.
>> The fact that the build didn't work correctly out of the box on cygwin
>> was my fault. A situation for which I apologize, and have since
>> attempted to rectify. The code, however, was not broken at that point
>> since it was being regularly built on non windows boxes.
>>
>> If the build is broken, please make every attempt to fix it or email the
>> list so that someone else can fix it. Submitting changes on top of an
>> already broken trunk without fixing it first only makes it harder to
>> unravel the reason that the build is failing, and the odds that you will
>> get your merge correct without ever building it are vanishingly small.
>>
>> In the unlikely event that someone needs to break the build with a
>> submit, please let the list know so that the submit can be coordinated
>> with other people's oustanding changes, and a plan can be made to bring
>> the trunk back to working order in a reasonable timeframe.
>>
>> --Rafael

> Hi Rafael,
>
> Sorry if I seemed a bit off this morning must have gotten out of the
> wrong side of bed.
> Either that or my windows box was killing me again.
> Anyway no excuse.

> [...]

No problem, I've been there myself. ;)

I tried out the merge command and you're right, it doesn't get the paths
right the way I specified it. If you do the following it should work
correctly:

cd qpid/java
svn merge -r561364:561365 .

The original form I gave you tries to apply the delta to the wrong level
of the tree. If this version doesn't work for you, please let me know.

--Rafael