qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Martin Ritchie" <ritch...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M2 -> Trunk Merge
Date Wed, 01 Aug 2007 15:34:46 GMT
On 01/08/07, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
> Martin Ritchie wrote:
> > Can I ask why my commit revision 561578 was rollback?
> >
> > If there was a problem with my commit I would expect there to be a
> > discussion on the list before over 2 hours of my work is thrown away!
>
> Your work wasn't thrown away. You can recover it in your local checkout
> with the following command, get it to build, and then resubmit the
> changes. Nothing you have done was lost.
>
> svn merge -r561364:561365 qpid/java
>
> > Rafael as you rolled back the changes can you please explain.
>
> The changes didn't build, as I said before there were conflict markers,
> conflicting imports, calls to nonexistent methods. I did make an effort
> to fix the problems, but after digging through a number of issues I
> realized that the code hadn't been completely resolved, or compiled. At
> that point I realized I had no way of knowing whether it would take 2
> hours or 2 days to get the trunk building again, and given how many
> other people are working on the trunk I really had no option but to
> rollback the change as I couldn't leave the trunk in that state for an
> indeterminate period.
>
> > I can guarantee that some of the files that you have removed from
> > trunk will *NEVER* impact the build process.
>
> That may well be true, however I thought it better to just rollback the
> whole change underneath the java dir so that you could easily recover it
> with the svn command I supplied above and then pick up where you left
> off in your conflict resolution.
>
> > If my changes caused problems with the build then I apologise however
> > I was unable to fully test the changes because the maven build system
> > was already broken on trunk.
>
> The fact that the build didn't work correctly out of the box on cygwin
> was my fault. A situation for which I apologize, and have since
> attempted to rectify. The code, however, was not broken at that point
> since it was being regularly built on non windows boxes.
>
> If the build is broken, please make every attempt to fix it or email the
> list so that someone else can fix it. Submitting changes on top of an
> already broken trunk without fixing it first only makes it harder to
> unravel the reason that the build is failing, and the odds that you will
> get your merge correct without ever building it are vanishingly small.
>
> In the unlikely event that someone needs to break the build with a
> submit, please let the list know so that the submit can be coordinated
> with other people's oustanding changes, and a plan can be made to bring
> the trunk back to working order in a reasonable timeframe.
>
> --Rafael

> >> It looks like this error is due to a problem invoking the python script
> >> that generates the code for the 0-10 work. The invocation from the pom
> >> file probably needs to be tweaked to work correctly on windows.
> >>
> >> --Rafael

Hi Rafael,

Sorry if I seemed a bit off this morning must have gotten out of the
wrong side of bed.
Either that or my windows box was killing me again.
Anyway no excuse.

I'm sorry I committed the code with so may errors. I did carefully go
through the diffs between my M2 and trunk after the merge. Most of the
changes were to do with the exception method changes.

I tried the command (svn merge) from above but it didn't appear to do
the trick. Once I've cleared my work load I shall take another look at
doing the merges. I don't think there is much different... perhaps
just using kdiff and hand merging M2 on to Trunk might be the easier
approach.

Thanks for attempting to look at the build problems. I'm surprised
there were conflict marks as both svn and kdiff never spotted them.
But hey they are just tools :) I'm sure javac would have found the
problem. I was just too impatient to commit as it kept failing because
the repository was changed whilst I was doing the commit. Should have
just waited till the morning rather than trying to commit last thing.

--
Martin Ritchie