qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Building the C++ M2 branch
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:54:57 GMT
On Tue, 2007-09-04 at 12:20 +0100, Gordon Sim wrote:
> Robert Greig wrote:
> > 1) Someone had installed an old version of boost in /usr/lib and this
> > hadn't been built with -fPIC and therefore didn't link. I built my own
> > version of boost, but its libraries had the compiler name at the end
> > e.g. libboost_signals-gcc34.a. I therefore had to change the link
> > lines to get it to link. I wasn't sure how to do this properly so I
> > just hacked it in the Makefiles.
> >
> > Is there either a better way of building boost so it doesn't have
> > these suffixes or a better way of configuring the libraries to link?
>
> There is a --layout=system option to bjam that creates libs that don't
> include the extra suffixes (and is apparently 'intended for system
> integrators who are building distribution packages').
>
> There are also some autoconf macros that might be useful in enhancing
> our build system:
> http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/macros-by-category.html#BOOST

After some experimentation the easeist way to build boost libraries from
source with the "correct" names (ie names that will currently "just"
work).

	unpack boost

	in the top level boost directory run:
		./configure

	then edit the generated Makefile to add "--layout=system"
	to the line beginning "BJAM_CONFIG="

	then run "make"

Andrew