qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Building the C++ M2 branch
Date Tue, 04 Sep 2007 11:20:06 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> 1) Someone had installed an old version of boost in /usr/lib and this
> hadn't been built with -fPIC and therefore didn't link. I built my own
> version of boost, but its libraries had the compiler name at the end
> e.g. libboost_signals-gcc34.a. I therefore had to change the link
> lines to get it to link. I wasn't sure how to do this properly so I
> just hacked it in the Makefiles.
>
> Is there either a better way of building boost so it doesn't have
> these suffixes or a better way of configuring the libraries to link?

There is a --layout=system option to bjam that creates libs that don't
include the extra suffixes (and is apparently 'intended for system
integrators who are building distribution packages').

There are also some autoconf macros that might be useful in enhancing
our build system:
http://autoconf-archive.cryp.to/macros-by-category.html#BOOST