qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Java M2 - status of three outstanding Jiras
Date Fri, 14 Sep 2007 20:48:14 GMT
Robert Greig wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We were aiming to get the three critical M2 jiras done today, so I
> thought I should ask what the status is - here were the earlier
> summaries I had:
>
> QPID-531 : Martin has a one line fix for this which will be committed very soon
>
> There haven't been any commits for this yet. Martin is this on track
> for today? Did testing show up bugs?
>
> QPID-572 : Believed to be fixed
>
> There has been some further discussion about this following a commit
> by Martin. Do we think we have a fix or is more work required?

This is a tricky issue. There are actually two bugs here. The correct
fix for QPID-572 (the original patch submitted to the JIRA) actually
causes another race condition to be more likely. I've described the
other race condition in detail in QPID-601.

The modified patch for QPID-572 simply circumvents the effect of the
correct fix when selectors are used. This makes QPID-601 less likely to
occur, but the basic race condition described in QPID-601 is still
there. Unfortunately this also reintroduces the ordering bug if
selectors are used, and also unfortunately, AFAICT a proper fix for
QPID-601 is non trivial.

So basically if we want to release M2 in a timely manner we need to
choose between selectors with correct message ordering and a higher
chance of messages being stranded, or selectors with incorrect message
ordering and a lower chance of messages being stranded.

> QPID-573 : Fixed by Rafi on trunk. Can you merge to M2 and M2.1?
>
> As far as I know just pending the merge.

The fix should be merged to both M2 and M2.1 now.

--Rafael