qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Use of AMQShortString in client side code
Date Wed, 19 Sep 2007 01:52:07 GMT
John O'Hara wrote:
> I agree with Rob that the lower levels of the stack should be implemented in
> AMQPShortString *where it occurs in the protocol* for the following reasons:
>
> 1) It provides the opportunity to validate the semantics; just because we're
> not checking length today doesn't mean we shouldn't

AMQShortString really isn't the appropriate place to validate domain
level semantics. Different uses of shortstr have different domain level
constraints. Also, any validation we put in AMQShortString is forced to
run for every single shortstr field that passes through a broker. This
isn't particularly useful because when decoding fields off the wire,
such validation is unnecessary as it is already performed by the codec
in a more efficient manner that is specialized to the wire format.

> 2) We may introduce AMQPShortStrong Tokenisation in the protocol in the
> future (has been discussed often, I think it's quite likely).  Doing this we
> can collapse a shortstring to 2 bytes and reduce garbage.

I presume you're referring to some scheme for caching commonly used
strings? If so this is a decoding optimization that would equally well
apply when decoding directly to Strings, or any other type for that
matter. In fact such an optimization would likely nullify any
performance advantage rendered by AMQShortString since decoding/encoding
of anything would only be necessary when there is a cache miss.

> 3) I'm unsure of the memory ownership semantics but I believe the JMS spec
> explicitly requires a copy of the message to be take to prevent grim race
> conditions on message reuse.  Some products have the option to turn this
> off, but that's not the spec.  It's like not DMA'ing from userspace without
> extreme care.

I'm unsure how this relates to the use of AMQShortString. Any such
copying would happen well past the point where raw types are decoded off
the wire.

> Also, Rob has said it has been proven to be faster in the past.
> In the absence of a measured, demonstrable issue why change this arguably
> more correct implementation?

As it stands today AMQShortString is really just an optimization for the
broker, and one that comes at a pretty high cost to the client. So if
there is a better way to solve the performance issue for the broker
without encumbering the client, it's certainly worth investigating.

That's why I asked about the original problem being solved. For example
I'd guess that in the critical path the broker really never needs to
decode much more than the exchange name and routing key in order to
deliver a message, so it might be possible to limit the use of
AMQShortString to just those fields (or decode to specific Exchange and
RoutingKey classes) and get the necessary performance benefit in the
broker, with much less impact on the client.

--Rafael