qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rupert Smith" <rupertlssm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Survey: Which GUI do you use? (was M2 -> Trunk Merge Complete)
Date Tue, 18 Sep 2007 09:10:07 GMT
I think svnmerge will do ok, that is, unless someone has a much better
solution?

It needs a sociological solution too, and that is to use it often, and to
keep release branches short and sweet. At one point I wanted to set up a
cron job equivalent on my windows box, that would run 'svnmerge avail' at
least once a day, so I could keep an eye on the change list. Couldn't get
windows to do it for me easily, so gave up, rather than spend the time
figuring it out. I could resurrect that effort?

Another solution we need to implement, is the use of a common source format
that we all stick to religiously. Although diff tools can be good at
ignoring white space changes, they also seem to get confused quite often.

Here are some pointlessly annoying source code format changes that I see
often:

reordering of import statements.
tabs/spaces.
single line/multi line comments reformatting.
reordering of methods within a class.

I am not pedantic when it comes to the choice of what formatting rules we
use, but, I do think it is worth having a set of rules and enforcing them.

Survey for Java Only

So that I can figure out what settings we all need to ensure that we do not
do pointless reformatting.

Which GUI tool do you use?

I use IntelliJ 6.

On 17/09/2007, Martin Ritchie <ritchiem@apache.org> wrote:Rupert,

The svnmerge tracking was all messed up when the first merge was
backed out but the svnmerge changes were left in. I'm less convinced
about its abilities as a suitable change tracking device across all
the branches we now have(M2, M2.1, trunk). Perhaps we need a less
technical and a more sociological solution.