qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Greig" <robert.j.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [java]: compilation failure on M2 and trunk
Date Tue, 02 Oct 2007 22:11:55 GMT
On 02/10/2007, Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com> wrote:
> Rupert Smith wrote:
> > There are other SNAPSHOTs in Qpid. In particular we use SNAPSHOT versions of
> > Maven plugins. It has been unavoidable because maven seems to be very much a
> > work in progress.
>
> I would favor removing these as well.

Does anyone know the impact of doing so? Is our build going to die?

> I'm familiar with the issues involved in getting maven to produce
> repeatable builds, and while these are great reasons not to touch maven
> with a 10 foot pole, they aren't great reasons to use SNAPSHOT
> dependencies. Doing so only makes the situation go from bad to worse.

There is also the issue of how we support custom builds of
dependencies. For example one solution for the hanging problem we
identified is to rebuild Mina with a change that removes the use of
IdentityHashMap. However it would appear (from what I have been told
at least) that doing this with maven isn't as simple as any sane
person might expect.

It really does beg the question exactly what benefits maven brings to
this project.

> My concern is not the immediate build failure but the fact that *any*
> use of SNAPSHOT dependencies is a *guarantee* that the code checked in
> at that revision will inevitably become unbuildable.

I would have major concerns about the lack of repeatability of a build
of a release, in particular M2. We need to make sure that an M2 build
is repeatable.

RG