qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Daniel Kulp <daniel.k...@iona.com>
Subject Re: Snapshots - was Re: [java]: compilation failure on M2 and trunk
Date Wed, 03 Oct 2007 19:00:58 GMT

I'll jump in now...  :-)

On Wednesday 03 October 2007, Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Robert Greig wrote:
> > On 03/10/2007, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
> >> I think the following has come out of this thread.. (my view)
> >>
> >> 1. we should make it a practice not to use snapshots
> >> 2. if we decide to use one - it should be the only option and with
> >> list agreement.
> >
> > I agree with these points.
>
> +1

+1 - though I'll add that if you decide to take a snapshot, you should
ALSO start immediately working with the team responsible to get a
release out ASAP.   Part of the discussion to agree to take a snapshot
should include the timeframe that is expected to be on the snapshot.

> > I would also seriously question whether maven is actually the right
> > choice for this project.
>
> +1

One of the main points of using maven was to get artifacts into the
repositories in a way that other USERS can use them with their maven
builds.   Since you haven't done a release, the artifacts aren't there.
Once you do the release (providing it's done properly) and actually
start getting users that want to integrate Qpid into their builds, this
starts becoming increasingly important.

For example, one of my JIRA tasks is to get CXF up and running using Qpid
as a transport:
Until there are release artifacts in the repo, I cannot accomplish that.
CXF is completely maven based and all the dependencies NEED to be in the
repo.   That would include things like the mina jars that would have
whatever fixes you need in them.   Those jars cannot live in SVN.   They
would have to be in the repo as well.   With you using maven, that is
currently enforced, and that's a good thing.

--
J. Daniel Kulp
Principal Engineer