qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: API question
Date Mon, 05 Nov 2007 15:37:47 GMT
On Mon, 2007-11-05 at 10:26 -0500, Alan Conway wrote:
> I want to add a timeout to the public API (I'm adding "get" style
> subscription as an alternative to "listen" style)
>
> Opinions, should I:
> a) use qpid::sys::Duration as the timeout parameter?
> b) use uint64_t nanosecond value?
> c) do something else...

c) I think it's usually better to specify timeouts in terms of an
absolute "wait until" time (I know this isn't the common practice).

The reason is that the if waiting gets interrupted for some reason other
than timeout or completion (signal for instance) then all you need to do
to carry on is the same operation again. I suppose I'm saying this
operation is idempotent.

If you specify a duration then you need to calculate the absolute
waiting time internally to do this, or return the remaining time like
the Linux select does.

Incidentally this time shouldn't be related to the clock time rather to
the uptime, just in case someone changes the clock on you (you're
running NTP that sort of thing).

Not sure if this helps!

Andrew