qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Rupert Smith" <rupertlssm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Weekly plans.
Date Thu, 08 Nov 2007 10:53:22 GMT
On 08/11/2007, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Best I have seen so far was SwiftMQ which managed to write
> > batch 8k msgs/sec in auto ack mode, 16:16 p2p, on a disk setup that can
> > handle maybe 500 IOPS (very rough estimate), which is impressive.
>
> What does this test do exactly - what does the "batch 8k msgs/sec"
> mean? How does it compare with the same test on Qpid?

By batching, I mean that on a disk that can only do maybe 500 IOPS, by
combining (batching) writes, it manages 8k msgs/sec. We can get similar
results for Qpid when running under transactions, and sending 10
msgs/transaction, but in auto ack mode our write combining strategy does not
seem to be quite so effective, giving a result closer to the 500 for that
particular test. I'm not sure exactly why that is. Perhaps its all down to
our choice of transaction logger. Perhaps our write combining strategy is
not active in auto ack mode.

Rupert