qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Community graduation vote
Date Fri, 04 Jan 2008 13:08:44 GMT
ant elder wrote:

> On Jan 2, 2008 10:04 PM, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com
> <mailto:cctrieloff@redhat.com>> wrote:
>

>     We have been discussed starting the graduation process once we had
>     published M2. This has been completed so I would like to start a
>     community vote. The first step in graduation:
>     http://incubator.apache.org/guides/graduation.html#sp-community-vote
>
>     This vote is for the qpid community to be willing to govern itself
>     as a
>     top level project. Please see the above link. If this vote passes, I
>     will go ahead and prepare the relevant materials and complete the
>     remaining process as from the above link.
>
>      From my side I believe we are ready and I am willing... so here
>     is my +1.
>
>     Given it is a vacation week, I will leave the vote open till Tuesday
>     January 9th, will tally votes on the 10th.
>     Carl.
>

> That link above is to the "Graduating to a Subproject" part of the
> graduation guide, is qpid planning on graduating as a subproject of
> some other project or as a TLP?
>
> How is qpid doing with the minimum graduation requirements outlined
> at:
> http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements

> <http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Minimum+Graduation+Requirements>
>
>    ...ant

Ant, thanks for the interest.

 From the discussions so far we would like to graduate as a TLP, that is
what this vote is to confirm (That we are willing to govern ourselves as
TLP). Here is where we are at in terms of the list on that page.
obviously the items that are dependent on this vote have not been done yet.

    *
          o All code ASL'ed -------------- done
          o The code base must contain only ASL or ASL-compatible
            dependencies --------- done
          o License grant complete -------- done
          o CLAs on file. ------- done
          o Check of project name for trademark issues -------- done
            (changes name 4 times when we came in for this issue)

    * *Meritocracy / Community *
    *
          o Demonstrate an active and diverse development community
            ----------- yes
          o The project is not highly dependent on any single
            contributor (there are at least 3 legally independent
            committers and there is no single company or entity that is
            vital to the success of the project) -------------  yes
          o The above implies that new committers are admitted according
            to ASF practices ------------- yes
          o ASF style voting has been adopted and is standard practice
            ------------- yes
          o Demonstrate ability to tolerate and resolve conflict within
            the community. ------------ yes ( have had some large debates)
          o Release plans are developed and excuted in public by the
            community.  ------------ yes
                + (requirement on minimum number of such releases?)
                  ----------- done 2 releases, released all code
                + Note: incubator projects are not permitted to issue an
                  official Release. Test snapshots (however good the
                  quality) and Release /plans /are OK.
          o Engagement by the incubated community with the other ASF
            communities, particularly infrastructure@ (this reflects my
            personal bias that projects should pay an nfrastructure
            "tax").  ------------ some of our committers do
          o Incubator PMC has voted for graduation  ------------ (not
            yet, doing community vote first, then will do all admin,
            charter etc, then call for IPMC vote)
          o Destination PMC, or ASF Board for a TLP, has voted for final
            acceptance --------- (not yet)

    * *Alignment / Synergy *
    *
          o Use of other ASF subprojects ------------ yes
          o Develop synergistic relationship with other ASF subprojects
            ---------- yes, have additional requests from other
            projects, specifically maven targets.

    * *Infrastructure *
    *
          o SVN module has been created ------------ yes
          o Issue tracker has been created ----------- yes
          o Project website has been created ------------ yes
          o Project ready to comply with ASF mirroring guidelines ----- yes
          o Project is integrated with GUMP if appropriate --------- N/A
          o Releases are PGP signed by a member of the community  ------ yes
          o Developers tied into ASF PGP web of trust -------- I believe
            most, something to be explicitly checked in this process.

The only piece of outstanding infra admin I know of is that we need to
add our latest two committers to the info page. One of the account
setups is still being resolved, so I will do that after they have both
been able to successfully so a ci.

regards
Carl.