qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject build system
Date Tue, 08 Jan 2008 20:53:43 GMT
Below is a summary of the build system issues discussed at the Qpid
Java F2F in December:

  1) maven seems to suffer from unrepeatable builds, specifically:
    - consecutive offline builds sometimes produce different results

  2) maven is unsuitable for OS distro builds, specifically:
    - no true offline build capability
    - can't pick up dependencies from standard filesystem locations

  3) mvn clean doesn't clean up everything

  4) javadoc doesn't work

  5) there is no easy way to run the broker/examples/etc directly out
     of a source build

  6) we need to manually create poms for client.jar

Issues 1 and 2 are general problems with maven. Issues 3 and 4 are
probably peculiar to our usage of maven. Issue 5 is somewhere
in-between, i.e. this could probably be made to work with maven,
however all other build systems seem to provide this sort of thing
"for free."

The suggested resolution from the F2F is to switch back to the ant
based build system used prior to maven and enhance it to automatically
produce the necessary poms for downstream maven projects to consume
our releases.

In addition to addressing issues 1 and 2, this would address issues 3,
4, and 5 "for free" since those items are already supported in the ant
build system.

If this plan is agreed to, I would volunteer to do the work of
tesurrecting the ant build system and enhancing it to produce the
necessary poms along with the regular release artifcats.

If you were at the F2F, please jump in if I've overlooked any
important points. Others please comment on the issues, suggested
resolution, timing, etc. If there is consensus I'd like to move
forward sooner rather than later.

--Rafael