qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Robert Godfrey" <rob.j.godf...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Branches, merges and trunkness
Date Tue, 29 Jan 2008 11:05:16 GMT
On 29/01/2008, Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org> wrote:
> On Jan 28, 2008 11:11 PM, Rajith Attapattu <rajith77@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Just for my understanding,
> > What is the difference between M2.1 and M2.1.1 ? Which branch are we
> > planning to use for the next release of M2.x?
>
> M2.1.1 is dead, M2.1 has some additional fixes and features (such as
> multiversion support). Ignore M2.1.1, nothing to see here, move along
> please.
>
> We'll take M2.x from the M2.1 branch, which should probably be renamed
> to M2.x. If nobody objects I'll do this on Friday, it's going to mess
> up existing checkouts though.
>
> > Are we done with the M2 branch? are we planning to keep that around?
> > If we need any fixes to say M2, I suppose we will make fixes from the latest
> > M2.x branch and not M2. Am I correct?
>
> As Rupert says, M2 is a release branch, if we need to make a security
> fix on M2 that would be the place to do it.

As we've previously said, there is absolutely no point in "deleting"
the M2 branch since the code will stay there (this is a source control
system - it'd better :-) )... Futher since we know of many people
using M2 code in production systems, if we have to make bug fixes, we
want to do it on the M2 branch.

There are most certainly a number of branches which we can tidy up
however.  Do any of these branches hold any value for future
development?

 client_restructure
 event-queue-2006-12-20
 java.multi_version