qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrew Stitcher <astitc...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: No generated source inside "gen" directory
Date Fri, 25 Apr 2008 14:59:20 GMT

On Fri, 2008-04-25 at 10:19 -0400, Alan Conway wrote:
> Danushka Menikkumbura wrote:
> > Hi all,
> >    I get a build error when I try to compile a repository working copy.
> > The build fails when it is trying to compile
> > generate_MaxMethodBodySize_h.cpp which is supposed to reside inside the
> > gen directory. I can not find any generated code inside gen directory. I
> > ran the generate.sh manually but had no luck. Am I doing something wrong
> > here or what?. I went through the docs, but could not find any hint.
> >
> > Danushka
> >

> I'm guessing this is a VPATH build? Andrew Stitcher discovered yesterday that
> VPATH builds are broken in the way you describe. You can do an in-tree build
> until this get fixed, or if you're an automake whiz it would be most helpful if
> you could take a look yourself. I was a bit of an automake-dummy when we started
> getting this build system together and the code generation parts in particular
> still suck a little.

Actually I have the VPATH build working ok for many purposes. What is
broken AFAICT in VPATH build:

make checkbuild
make rpmbuild

Incidentally make rpmbuild is actually wrong in the in tree build as
well in that it doesn't run the system tests (the python/federation
test) as it can't find the python directory.

Danushka - I'd guess that you need to start with a sufficiently clean
tree (for some value of sufficiently)

Andrew