qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Gazzarini <andrea.gazzar...@visiant.it>
Subject QPID Broker management
Date Mon, 21 Apr 2008 08:01:11 GMT
Hi all, my name is Andrea Gazzarini and (as you can read below) I'd like to help you with the
development of Qpid.

Arnaud told me that Broker management is an interesting area where I could do something useful...

I read the Management design notes of Qpid (at the moment implemented only on the C++ broker)
and with Arnaud we were thinking to create a JMX Bridge / Layer to administer and manage brokers.

Current situation is that only C++ broker is supporting the AMQP management protocol (via
the Management Extensions) while Java broker is managed using JMX, so basically, we can choose
two ways to proceed:

**** JMX Bridge with double behaviour depending on the target broker ****

Implementing a JMX Layer which is able to talk AMQP with C++ broker and JMX with Java broker;
Basically, for the Java side, it will be a "dummy" proxy which will forward all the requests
to the existing JMX Layer
This should allow us to deal immediately with the AMQP management protocol but for Java broker
this should be a temporary workaround in order to get something working quickly (It should
talk AMQP as other brokers);
I don't know if with this kind of solution, all things written on the http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/management-design-notes.html
will be applicable for the Java broker (because for example there's no need to have the "qpid.management"
exchange) .

**** Development of Management Extension on Java Broker + JMX Bridge with AMQP management
capabilities *****
Implementing what is written in http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid/management-design-notes.html
in Java broker, too;
The disadvantage in this case is that first, we have to implement it on Java Broker and only
after that it will be possible to develop a JMX Bridge completely decoupled from the implementation
of the (target) managed broker.
It's possible that I'm wrong (because I still don't have a good understanding of the whole
project) but It seems that something is missing on the Java broker in order to start to implement
the Management Extensions; for example :

- Is JQpid supporting the amq.topic? I'm asking that because I read that the qpid.management
exchange "is a" topic with some different behaviours;
- Is there somewhere the specification of the interface of the Broker Agent? for example,
what is the name of the method invoked on the agent after a new queue is bound on the management
exchange?

I think that from this perspective, JMX Layer on the Java broker will remain (moreless) the
same and a new module should be added in front of that to implement the Broker Agent (which
in turns will talk to internal JMX Layer to perform method invocation); something like that
:

Java QPID Broker <---> JMX <---> Broker Agent <---- AMQP ----> JMX Bridge

C++ QPID Broker <---> C++ Management Extensions <--- AMQP ---> JMX Bridge
??? QPID Broker <---> ??? Management Extensions <---AMQP ----> JMX Bridge

Later, we will be able to add additional layers to JMX Bridge (connectors, WS-DM, etc) in
order to expose management services to other clients using several protocols.

Ok, I don't want to be tedious with my questions so first of all, please let me know what
you are thinking about...

Regards,
Andrea

http://www.linkedin.com/in/andreagazzarini