qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid M2.1 RC3
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 14:11:43 GMT
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:03 PM, Gordon Sim <gsim@redhat.com> wrote:

> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>
> > Yeah, they were only ever source distributions and it seemed a bit
> > silly (and error prone as it was an entirely manual process) to
> > distribute seperate source packages for each one.
> >

>  For c++ at least there is a big difference, the source distribution created
> by the build just requires configure to be run. Otherwise the full and up to
> date set of autoconf/automake tools are needed.

I'm not sure I see that as a big deal, anybody who's likely to being
doing this would likely have an up to date set of autotools anyway and
./bootstrap --stuff is just as easy to type (although less familiar)
as ./configure. It's not really my area though, and if the C++ team
want a dist'd tar I'm happy to oblige.

>  For python and ruby having a small and focused download also seems better
> (though I agree its not significantly different from whats in the svn).

It's the testing burden more than anything else, at least one language
in the previous RC required more than I thought it did to build
sucesfully.

- Aidan
--
aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com