qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Apache Qpid M2.1 RC3
Date Wed, 09 Apr 2008 15:23:37 GMT
On Wed, Apr 9, 2008 at 3:17 PM, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:

>  It's not about source vs. binaries, it's about buildable vs.
>  installable. It is not trivial for someone other than a qpid developer
>  to identify exactly the set of files needed for a working python or ruby
>  client installation.

It's not trivial even for a qpid developer it turns out, there's a
certain lack of documentation for some of them.

>  It's a lot more friendly to download qpid-ruby.tar which contains
>  exactly the files required. Even better if you can download a package in
>  the languages native install format (.gem for ruby, python has something
>  similar I think.)

I have no idea how to create a gem, python ships with a setup.py which
does the build/installation for you but I'm not aware of a gem-like
thing for it (although I only have a vauge idea about gem, seems
similar to CPAN?)

Will people be happy if I just include the specs/ and <lang>/
directories as is, or would some sort of processing to build the
framing etc be preferable? (if so, I'd need to cut another RC entirely
since it wouldn't be repeatable otherwise)

- Aidan

--
aim/y!:aidans42  g:aidan.skinner@gmail.com
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/