qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC - Lahiru's CLI for JMX
Date Fri, 16 May 2008 09:43:19 GMT
On Fri, May 16, 2008 at 6:54 AM, lahiru gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 9:59 PM, Marnie McCormack <
> marnie.mccormack@googlemail.com> wrote:

>> sure this is possible.I have already develop a util  package which is
>> capable of handling any option and I just have to add some code when I want
>> to add new option and I can use that to make the required task to happen
>> with the new option.

What package are you using for this? What does it provide over, say,
commons-cli?

> Yes that's true I just got all the attributes to check what's going on
> inside JMX instrumentation in Qpid. I think we have to take all the mbeans
> and all the attributes in to a single object and give the whatever
> information user ask time to time.

It depends on how you implement it, for a simple one shot command it
probably makes sense to only query the objects that you need to
provide the data. For a more complicated report you may need to query
several objects, I don't see why you would munge them all together
though.

> I will send you a list of things I'm going to do in next two week today..!
> Please tell me any thing wrong with my idea or am I going in a wrong
> direction...

I think you probably want to step back a little and think about what
you're going to do, and how, rather than leaping into the doing part
feet first. Coding isn't due to start in earnest until the 26th, so
you have some time to consider what you're doing. Planning is
important, particularly when you're talking about a relatively large
chunk of work like this. Having a prototype is good, but it's no
substitute for really taking the time to learn about problem domain. I
think it would be worthwhile to have a think about this from the users
perspective and ask yourself questions from the point of view of a
system admin, things like "what information would I want to get out of
the broker?" "What would I want to feed this data too? Is it easily
awk'able?" "How can I get this written to a logfile that I can use to
monitor the state of the broker?"

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."