qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: GSoC - Lahiru's CLI for JMX
Date Thu, 22 May 2008 16:39:42 GMT
On Sun, May 18, 2008 at 11:54 AM, lahiru gunathilake <glahiru@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here's my basic idea about the project and please treat this as a draft SRS

Sorry, I'm not familiar with that acronym, what is SRS?

>   -  First I think I have to figured out what report formats to be given.
>   May be multiple report formats and user can select one at a time. (And I
>   think you have to tell me we need these report formats and I will implement
>   them).

I think we need to let the user define the report format, it's hard to
predict users requirements for things like this in advance and giving
them the flexibility to decide for themselves is generally a good
move. Having said that, we probably should define some canned reports
which we can ship both as an example of what the tool can do and for
general user. Off the top of my head the one I would be most
interested in would be one showing queue name, queue count, queue
depth and number of consumers.

>   -  This runs as a daemon and I think this won't be a big thing since we
>   can use cron to implement this(as Marnie said) or we can use sleep with Java
>   threads and run the same code time to time.

Running via cron is quite different from running as a daemon, one
starts a new process every time and one keeps a process resident.

>   -  And what data we give in reports ...obviously user have to specify it
>   somehow, may be with command line options or using a configuration file and
>   I prefer use command line options. *I have no idea* about which kind of data
>   user is going get in report format.(Is it like give me all the queue details
>   for each and every five minutes, which means generate 12 reports for an hour
>   and do the same thing until broker is up) am I correct and I need a feed
>   from you about this question.

I think having both a configuration file and command line options
available is probably the best tactic here, again flexibility is the
key.

>   -  When user is going to configure which data he need in report format? I
>   thinks when user logged in user have to configure it by some command and
>   each argument have it's default value and then user have to give another
>   command to start the thread.

I think the start command could be wrapped up into the report
creation, maybe as a --daemon/-d switch or implicitly when they
specify the frequency with which to run.

>   - Now user is working in interactive mode and if user is interest on
>   generating reports user have to configure the report generation mode as I
>   discussed with previous section.If user is not interest generating reports
>   user can start on working in interactive mode from the beginning. Or user is
>   only interest on generating reports, after successful configuration of the
>   report generation mode user can type exit command and exit from the
>   qpid-admin prompt and start the normal work with the command line.

I think having a shell mode with which the user can interactively
explore the current broker status is a great idea! Have you looked
into whether there are Java libraries which implement GNU readline
like functionality?

>   - We have to figure out what are the list of command we are going to
>   allow the user to work in interactive mode and what sought of a work it does
>   with each and every command.* I need a feed from you in this location
>   again*. If you can tell me what are the operations I have to allow users to
>   do in interactive mode then I can create a command name for each operation
>   with appropriate parameters.

I would imagine that it's really a case of list and info for each
object to start with, and then we can define the more 'active'
commands (such as clear for a list) when we consider each object.

> May be we can ask these questions from our users as well.

Getting early user feedback on this is going to be very valuable. Have
you subscribed to qpid-users yet? It's probably a little early to
solicit feedback from them on a design, but I think getting their
input when you have a functional prototype ready would help a lot.

I'm going to be away for a few days, but will be checking my email
semi-regularly, I shan't be available via IM until Tuesday
unfortunately. :/

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."