qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Carl Trieloff <cctriel...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: M3 and some community clean-up
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:27:20 GMT
Aidan Skinner wrote:
> On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
>

>> I have updated with what we have done so far, and a good part is completed.
>> Can we hash out on this thread and
>> get M3 more concrete.  i.e. are we going to wait for Ruby to support 0-10
>> before we cut M3, or will we be willing
>> to cut it with Java, JMS, C++ and .NET clients?
>>

> We've previously agreed to do time-boxed releases, which I think is
> pretty crucial. We've kind of let it slip recently, but I think
> getting an M3  out at an agreed point in time, with clearly defined
> feature, bug fix and hard freezes is a better tack to take than trying
> to define M3 by features.
>
> Having said that, by the previous timelines agreed we'd be entering
> feature freeze right about now, and releasing in a little over a month
> by my reckoning, which is clearly not going to happen.

Time box is good/better. The trunk is quite good currently. If we take
this route
do we want to declare trunk open for say 4 more weeks, than we call that
the freeze
date for M3? 4 weeks being a random number I pulled from the air.

Thoughts.

>> Well, lets just say it needs some clean-up. I can identify a bunch of stuff
>> that has been done but is not closed etc. We should
>> maybe setup a call, or tag team the list of items and make sure we have what
>> we want in the list for M3, and close out the
>> crud.
>>

> Cleaning up Jira is definately something we need to do, it's the
> proverbial den of scum and villany atm. As I said above though, I'm
> resistant to defining M3 as a feature list. There's some stuff which
> is currently targetted for it which is just unrealistic, but I'd
> rather do something like:
>
> 1. agree dates and designate a release manager
> 2. move stuff which is just not going to make it out of M3
> 3. hack
> ------ Feature freeze ---- (Release - 6 weeks?)
> 4. move features which haven't made it into the future
> 5. fix bugs
> ---- Fix freeze ---- (Release - 2 weeks?)
> 6. move non-critical fixes into the future
> 7. fix the critical things
> --- Release --- (Release)

Sounds good. I would however like to clean JIRA up a bit regardless to
make it easier for
those new on the project.

Carl.