qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: First tests on the ECFPoller
Date Tue, 03 Jun 2008 20:23:14 GMT
On Tue, Jun 3, 2008 at 9:17 PM, Steve Huston <shuston@riverace.com> wrote:

> One more question...

I'm going to answer all of them here, because I am lazy like that.

>> I've never worked with git before, so pardon my ignorance. Is
>> there some way to import the resultant git stuff back to svn?

Yes, git-svn can commit back to svn. Given that you don't have commit
rights to Apache SVN, you'd need to submit patches though. Fortunately
git provides an easy way to extract those (git format-patch).

>> Alternately, is there a provision for granting provisional
>> commit to svn for a while, to work on a branch?

Sadly not, it would be nice but not possible. :/

> If using a service such as github.com, will this code be acceptable
> back to qpid/apache? It's out in the wild and allegedly any public
> person can write to it.

Yep, we'd just ask you to submit patches via Jira as usual. github
would be a temporary working area.

> Would a git repo need to be hosted privately? Is there a policy for
> setting this up such that whatever comes from it can be integrated
> into qpid according to Apache rules?

I don't think there's any policy (although infra@ frown on massive
clones due to the way that everything is in one giant repo), patches
would go through the normal process.

The main win is that you and Manuel could commit your work to branches
on the git repo and sync between them, which would make the resulting
merge much easier. It would also make your work more visible to the
outside world and, frankly, the git workflow is much better than svn
IMNSHO.

- Aidan

http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."