qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M3 and some community clean-up
Date Fri, 13 Jun 2008 15:17:58 GMT
On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 4:00 PM, Carl Trieloff <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:

> I have updated with what we have done so far, and a good part is completed.
> Can we hash out on this thread and
> get M3 more concrete.  i.e. are we going to wait for Ruby to support 0-10
> before we cut M3, or will we be willing
> to cut it with Java, JMS, C++ and .NET clients?

We've previously agreed to do time-boxed releases, which I think is
pretty crucial. We've kind of let it slip recently, but I think
getting an M3  out at an agreed point in time, with clearly defined
feature, bug fix and hard freezes is a better tack to take than trying
to define M3 by features.

Having said that, by the previous timelines agreed we'd be entering
feature freeze right about now, and releasing in a little over a month
by my reckoning, which is clearly not going to happen.

> Well, lets just say it needs some clean-up. I can identify a bunch of stuff
> that has been done but is not closed etc. We should
> maybe setup a call, or tag team the list of items and make sure we have what
> we want in the list for M3, and close out the
> crud.

Cleaning up Jira is definately something we need to do, it's the
proverbial den of scum and villany atm. As I said above though, I'm
resistant to defining M3 as a feature list. There's some stuff which
is currently targetted for it which is just unrealistic, but I'd
rather do something like:

1. agree dates and designate a release manager
2. move stuff which is just not going to make it out of M3
3. hack
------ Feature freeze ---- (Release - 6 weeks?)
4. move features which haven't made it into the future
5. fix bugs
---- Fix freeze ---- (Release - 2 weeks?)
6. move non-critical fixes into the future
7. fix the critical things
--- Release --- (Release)

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/