qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M3 and some community clean-up
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 08:40:43 GMT
On Wed, Jun 18, 2008 at 10:39 PM, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com> wrote:

> OK, so are we saying that we should release M3 as a "0-10 release", do
> it soon, and only include those components that are close to

Kinda (although marketing was never my strong point), maybe, no, in
that order. :)

> supporting 0-10 today (i.e. mostly done, just getting bug fixes etc).
> This means C++ broker and client, java client and python client. M3
> would specifically exclude the ruby client, .NET client and java
> broker?

I think this is a really bad idea, and I'm quite strongly opposed to
it.I think we should be releasing everything, but clearly documenting
what doesn't and doesn't work and why, and making sure that stuff that
doesn't work doesn't work in a humane, clear manner. Possibly with
comedy unhappy Simpsons error messages.

> Is it realistic to say that M3 C++ broker should include only solaris
> and linux support, or do people think that the Windows port is close
> to being ready? Having a Windows binary would be terrific but I also

I'd set a date for it and see what's ready and take that. I'd like to
keep trunk open for commits at every point as I don't want to hamper
progress on stuff for the sake of the release.

> buy the release often approach and maybe an M3.1 done soon after M3
> would be an option.

I suspect we probably will want to do this, if only for bug fixes. New
platform support might be a bit large to take in a point release, but
it depends on how invasive the changes are.

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."