qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M3 and some community clean-up
Date Thu, 19 Jun 2008 10:25:19 GMT
On Thu, Jun 19, 2008 at 10:27 AM, Arnaud Simon <asimon@redhat.com> wrote:

> We should also start making a kind of planning. For example, I am
> volunteering for implementing .Net client 0.10 support. That should be
> ready for M3.1 (assuming we release M3 very soon).

That would be *awesome* if we could get that done. :)

> As we need a 8 weeks release process are we looking at this kind of
> agenda:
>
> -- week 26 Feature freeze + 6 weeks fix bugs
> -- week 32 fix Freeze + 2 weeks fix critical bugs
> -- week 34 Release M3
>
> I believe we can shorten this release process (as a lot of testing has
> already been done on this code) by immediately starting the "fix Freeze"
> phase. We would then target a M3 release for week 28. We could then
> target M3.1 for early September.

I think we should have a couple more weeks before feature freeze to
get the c++ broker ports in, and a few other bits and pieces. I also
don't think we've defined our procedures for this tightly enough yet.

I'd suggest something like weeks 29, 35 and 37, with freezes on
Wednesdays and releases on Thursdays?

> Note that I believe that the 6 weeks "fix bugs" could be shorten,
> especially if we want to release more often.

I think that's a good, and achieveable goal, but I don't think it's
likely to happen this time around. We'd really need to have things
like Cruise Control up and running for the full lifecycle, and a more
focussed development effort for that to work. It's definately
something to aim for though, particularly if we work with having trunk
being always releasable in mind.

- Aidan
http://aidan.skinner.me.uk/
each other."