qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: log4j-test output format change
Date Wed, 02 Jul 2008 12:50:19 GMT
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> Hi does anyone have any objection to me changing the logging format in
> our default log4j-test file. I think our current value gives us very
> little to help diagnose any problems.
>
> Suggested change:
>
> -      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%-5p %c{1} - %m%n"/>
> +      <param name="ConversionPattern" value="%d %-5p [%t] %C{2}
> (%F:%L) - %m%n"/>
>
> This would result in a change from:
>
> DEBUG ConfigurationUtils - Configuration loaded from the base path
> acl.config.xml

> 2008-07-02 06:10:56,276 DEBUG [main] configuration.ConfigurationUtils
> (ConfigurationUtils.java:342) - Configuration loaded from the base
> path acl.config.xml

I'd be +1 with the following mods:

I'd leave out the date portion of the timestamp since that doesn't seem
particularly useful for test runs.

Also, I don't know if this is still an issue, but I know it used to be
the case that printing the filename/line number actually slows down
logging a fair bit. I might be tempted to leave that out as well since
it is should be fairly easy to locate the log statement based on the
text. (If it's not, the text should probably be modified.)

--Rafael