qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: excessive logging from qpid-run
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 16:03:37 GMT
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> Hi Rafi,
>
> Some of the echo-ing is really useful when we get users coming along as it
> does let us see that they've set various variables etc as they believe they
> have, without them having the debug option set to echo commands etc (i.e. on
> output they've alredy sent us).
>
> Maybe set it up to be switch off able ?

I'm fine with making it configurable somehow.

> What do you think - though I'm really only focused on qpid-server's use of
> it so perhaps don't appreciate the generic nuiscence factor so much ....

I do think some of the stuff the script outputs is potentially
confusing. It sortof looks like it's broker logging except it doesn't go
to the broker log, it goes to stdout.

I can see that it's useful to have an exact record of how the broker was
invoked, but I tend to think that's a fairly broker specific
requirement, and might actually be more useful if it were logged from
Java and went into the broker log. It would certainly be less platform
dependent that way and I *think* most of the relevant information is
available from Java. I don't know if that would meet your needs.

As a first step I'll just make it configurable though since that is easy
enough.

--Rafael