qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Code review process (was Re: Code review agenda)
Date Mon, 04 Aug 2008 21:41:19 GMT
On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 9:19 PM, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Mon, 2008-08-04 at 20:56 +0100, Robert Greig wrote:
>> 2008/8/4 Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org>:
>>
>> > We could use Jira (every change has a Jira, right?), comment on that
>> > and use the voting feature to indicate that it's been reviewed. I
>> > can't see anything along the lines of tags so adding a
>> > 'needs_review'/'review_ok' to the issue seems out (oh Jira, why aren't
>> > you as good as Bugzilla?)
>>
>> Surely the way to do this with Jira (or other issue trackers) is to
>> have a new stage in the workflow which is "Awaiting Review", which
>> comes after "In Progress" and before "Resolved".
>
> +1

We'd need to get infra@ to implement custom workflow, should be doable
though (I believe Hadoop has a custom workflow).

>> Atlassian also does a tool for distributed code review that tracks
>> comments etc. - I wonder if they are willing to give an open source
>> licence as they are for Jira and Confluence?
>
> How/why does such a tool differ from Jira? I'd be wary of taking on more
> tools unless we can't solve the problem with the ones we have - it's
> more overhead for new contributers to learn.

Crucible (http://www.atlassian.com/software/crucible/) lets you
annotate patches, similar to Review Board. I think we'd find it easier
to get a custom jira workflow setup than a whole new service though.

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt