qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Naming and version numbering (was Re: Problem with your latest commit)
Date Fri, 22 Aug 2008 09:32:09 GMT
On Thu, Aug 21, 2008 at 8:22 PM, Alan Conway <aconway@redhat.com> wrote:

> I haven't made the change in case it needs discussion - we can probably
> find some combo of characters that works if we absolutely must (maybe
> 0.3.incubatorM3 would work...) but I don't feel like farting around
> testing all the things that might break if we can just use a normal,
> sane numeric major.minor version like most of the software universe.

There's a legal reason for using incubating in the artifcat name[1],
so the tarfile will still have that in there, the spec itself should
be ok as 0.3 though. On graduation we'd need to change our names to
apache-qpid instead of qpid-

I do think we should also have a discussion about changing from
milestones to regular (kernel/apr style[2]) numbering for everything
though,  s/M/0/ essentially. So perhaps apache-qpid-0.4.0 for the next
one maybe?

Messing with Obsoletes: and the like is probably best done sooner and
later from downstreams perspective.

- Aidan

[1] http://incubator.apache.org/guides/releasemanagement.html#naming
[2] http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt