qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject RE: c++ client - Windows port
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 12:51:46 GMT
On Wed, 2008-09-03 at 18:53 -0400, Steve Huston wrote:
> Thanks, Matt! I've integrated these and a few local fixes to Monitor
> and Condition. The current source is pushed up to qpid-port, windows2
> branch.
>
> There's an issue with the way AbsTime is handled and passed to
> condition variables... That's next up on my list - if anyone has
> particular expertise with boost::posix_time, I'd welcome the input.

Things to watch out for:
 - older boost - had trouble with this and undid some previous minor use
of boost::date_time a while back.
 - performance & resolution: probably fine but the templates were too
labyrinthine for for me to be sure.
 - impact on existing code using AbsTime/Duration

So my suggestion: if boost::time solves your problem on windows then do
a new sys/boost/Time.cpp impl using boost::time, so no impact on other
code.

If the boost impl works ok on linuxen, solaris etc. then we can use it
everywhere. On any platform where we do have a problem (performance
effects, portability, dealing with older boost) we can conditionally use
the old impl. Ideally there are no issues and we ditch the old impl but
I wouldn't assume that in advance.

Cheers,
Alan.