qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Matt Griswold <m...@devIT.com>
Subject Re: c++ client - Windows port
Date Thu, 04 Sep 2008 19:27:57 GMT
* Andrew Stitcher <astitcher@redhat.com> [09/04/08 12:49]:
> Also pthreads is well documented (in books even), and boost is still
> subject to change. If these things make it into the C++ standard lib as
> has been threatened then I'll argue strongly to use that, but I don't
> see any value in changing from pthread to boost for those platforms that
> are sufficiently posix.

I was using sys/boost as a generic base for making the port(s), not
necessarily as a replacement to native or posix implementations.  I included
the boost mutex stuff from Steve's windows port, and did time, socket, and
asyncIO/Poller also from boost lib.  It's a quick and easy way for me to get a
cross compilable, portable qpidclient, and I figured if/when boost components
make it to libstdc++ it'll be a bonus.

That aside, I tend agree with Alan, if it's as fast as the native
implementations, it seems like it would be easier to just have one version,
but that's up to you guys :)  In my application performance isn't key for the
client side, I just need to have it working in Windows and OSX.

Steve: I made an account on github, and when I get this all working I'll talk
to you about making a branch on there to throw changes up (hope to be done by
the end of the weekend if time allows).  As I said, I used a few of the files
from your windows port, so having both versions up there should be easier to
keep any changes synced.