qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Tests, code quality and reviews.
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 15:15:11 GMT
Dearest All,

We've had the more formal commit-then-review process for a few weeks
now. What we didn't really discuss was the standard to which commits
were to be held. So I'd like to take a minute, if you'll sit right
there, to tell you how we can become the prince of a town called
"adequate test coverage".

Our unit test coverage is... poor. Our system test coverage is better.
You can get a decent idea of what our unit test coverage is by
downloading cobertura (http://cobertura.sourceforge.net/) and
unpacking it into qpid/java/lib/cobertura/ then running "ant
cover-test coverage-report" and looking in build/coverage/index.html.
It'll take a while to run because of the instrumentation, particularly
SerialTest which takes an age. Running that in an module will put the
coverage report for that module in build/<module>/coverage/index.html
which is helpful.

To improve this situation, I'd like to propose that not having a test
case that covers your change is grounds for rejecting the patch. We
certainly can't get better if we continue to make the situation worse.

Thoughts?

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt