qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: svn commit: r700077 [1/4] - in /incubator/qpid/trunk/qpid/java: client/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/management/ client/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/management/configuration/ client/src/main/java/org/apache/qpid/management/domain/ client/src/mai
Date Wed, 01 Oct 2008 09:02:07 GMT
On Tue, Sep 30, 2008 at 10:22 PM, Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com>
wrote:

> Well - we've had a discussion previously where my opinion was that
> having things cut primarily by language was silly, and that
> broker/client was a bigger distinction... however since we primarily
> cut by language first, and presuming this work depends on the Java
> common stuff then i would suggest that to fit with the existing
> structure it should go in Java...  however I am very open to
> discussing a different structure for the project a a whole ;-)

I hate our source layout with a passion. The top level trunk containing just
qpid/ is remarkably irritating and makes merging between the branches a
PITA. I'd rather see a split along functional terms. The build system would
need to be complicated slightly to allow this, but a couple of simple
Makefiles should be sufficent. I'd think something like:

trunk/
   broker/
      java/
      cpp/
   client/
      java/
      cpp/
      ruby/
      python/
   tools/
      management/
         jmx-gui/ <-- eclipse plugin
         jmx-cli/ <-- JMX console
         qman/

etc.

This might be a bit yak shavey though. I'd really like to have a clearer
idea of where we are with the management tooling and where we're going with
it. It seems very ad-hoc atm. A plan would be good.

- Aidan

http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt