qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M4 versioning and release management
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 08:44:52 GMT
On Tue, Oct 7, 2008 at 8:39 PM, Robert Greig <robert.j.greig@gmail.com>wrote:

> Do we want to have the major version as zero? That implies to me that
> qpid is immature, which I would argue is not the case. The codebase

It implies that the API is immature, which it is. The only stable API that
I'm aware of Qpid having is the JMS one. Everything else has a tendancy to
change / be completely rewritten between versions.

I don't think that we're in a position to be offering source compatible APIs
at this point or in the immediate future either. AMQP 1.0 is likely to cause
some churn, particularly with the lower level clients like Ruby.

> has been evolving over the space of several years now and there are
> many production deployments of several components (e.g. I personally
> know about significant usage of the java broker and client).

Being production ready is different from being API-stable and maintaining
source compatibility between releases. The API compatibility is the
objective information encoded in APR-style [1] version numbers.

I know in some worlds having a large version number is taken to imply a
certain level of maturity. That view is as often as not innaccurate. It is
always highly subjective.

- Aidan

[1] http://apr.apache.org/versioning.html
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt