qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Aidan Skinner" <ai...@apache.org>
Subject Re: M4 versioning and release management
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 10:41:01 GMT
On Wed, Oct 8, 2008 at 11:04 AM, Robert Godfrey <rob.j.godfrey@gmail.com> wrote:

> 2008/10/8 Aidan Skinner <aidan@apache.org>:

> new version of the protocol.  Further I think that we should as a
> project strive to make sure that all clients/brokers move to a new
> version of the protocol *at the same time*.  I think the situation we
> have currently is very poor.

+1

> My view is that the first step to getting to any non-zero major number
> *has* to be getting all the components to have some common version of
> AMQP which they all speak.

+1

>> If we go to 1.x, the next release will almost certainly have to be 2.x and
>> then 3.x and 4.x etc. until we stabilise the APIs. We'd end up shipping Qpid
>> 10.something before it settled down.
>
> As above the APIs are driven off the protocol API.  This, I think, is
> a very proper point to have a major version increase.  I doubt that
> there'll be more than 1 or two more major protocol releases this
> decade.

They're not solely dependent on the protocol though. Major protocol
release will necessitate API changes, particularly for the rawer
clients. But there may be other changes to APIs that are required
independent of that.

I think we should move to a non-zero major number when all the
supported clients speak 0-10 and we've agreed that they are API
stable. I don't think we're there yet for M3+1.

- Aidan
http://cwiki.apache.org/qpid
"Nine-tenths of wisdom consists in being wise in time." - Theodore Roosevelt