qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: qpid-incubating.jar is now qpid-all.jar
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 13:25:13 GMT
Martin Ritchie wrote:
> 2008/12/10 Rafael Schloming <rafaels@redhat.com>:
>> Hey Everyone,
>>
>> Just a heads up, I've scrubbed the repo for the term "incubating" and
>> removed it from shell scripts, release artifacts, etc. Probably the only
>> noticeable difference is that qpid-incubating.jar is now called
>> qpid-all.jar, so if you have any scripts or config outside the repo that
>> references qpid-incubating.jar, they may need to be updated.
>>
>> --Rafael
>
> Rafi,
>
> I'm not sure all is such a good name either. If we are going to change
> the name can we look at alternatives.
>
> To me 'all' suggests that that is the only jar I need. Which is only
> true if you have the other jars in the lib directory. i.e. you can't
> just copy the 'all' jar.
>
> My suggestion would be something like : qpid-broker-classpath.jar

I think putting broker in the name would give the wrong impression.
Maybe just qpid-classpath.jar?

> As we have not yet resolved the how to build module packages having
> the ability to make more than one classpath jar might be a good idea
> now as we are changing the name.
>
> I understand why we are changing the name however I also think so late
> in the M4 cycle for making this change is rather late. So I think it
> is worth taking the time to ensure we don't then change it again for
> the next release.

I agree that this area needs some more attention. Many of the places
where incubating occurs should not be hardcoded with version names, e.g.
there are currently scripts checked in that reference jars from the M2
release, and other scripts that need to be manually updated for each
release to reference the new jar names.

The whole area is a bit more of a mess than can be fixed right now,
which is why I just did a simple string replace to clear out incubating.

--Rafael