qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: M4-RC1
Date Wed, 10 Dec 2008 20:39:04 GMT
Jonathan Robie wrote:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>> But it is in this one:
>>>
>>> http://people.apache.org/~rhs/qpid-M4-RC1/qpid-M4-RC1.tar.gz
>>
>> That is just a tar of the svn checkout, not a dist tarball, and the
>> bootstrap is actually required in that case. For c++ the rcommended
>> approach is to use the dist tarball.
>
> Would we ever encourage people to use the above .gz?

That .gz is actually an svn export of the precise revision for the
release. It's the canonical source from which all the other release
tarballs are built. I don't know that you would use it that frequently,
but you might use it if you wanted to rebuild the other release
artifacts with different options, or you might use it if for some reason
you don't have access to svn.

Even if we don't recommend its direct use, it's still important to have
it there for archival, signing, and licensing purposes.

--Rafael