qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Andrea Gazzarini <a.gazzar...@gmail.com>
Subject QMF / QMan Events handling
Date Sun, 15 Feb 2009 11:04:05 GMT
Hi Ted, long time no see :)
Just a question about how should be events handling on QMan...
This is the current situation :

- When a new event or object content message is received, a new MBean is
built on the fly (this really happens on JMX core) ;
- JMX Core notifies the WS-DM adapter about that MBean metadata (properties
& methods);
- WS-DM Adapter builds WS artifacts; I mean, all resources needed to expose
the mbean (the qpid entity) as Web Service (WSDL, RMD, capability class);
- WS-DM Adapter has two "lifecycle" topics : one for events and another one
for objects. Therefore a message is publihsed on the corresponding topic
(depending if the qpid message belongs to an object or an event). Message
has entity info (resource-id, name, package, etc) and a type that can be
CREATED (events and objects) and REMOVED (only objects).

Now, the question :

- Does it make sense to build persistent WS artifacts for events? After all
they are transient objects so I think the notification (on the lifecycle
topic) should be enough to inform management clients.
- If a client connects to QMan do you think it could be interested to
receive past event notifications? Does QMF give me that capability? If it is
not implemented we could add that feature on QMan storing received events
somewhere...In that situation when a management client estabilshes a
connection with QMan it could request all past events... what do you think?

Regards,
Andrea