qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Huston" <shus...@riverace.com>
Subject RE: Release Schedule
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 18:45:12 GMT

I'm
> > not sure I'll have a first cut in by Monday, but it would
> be next week
> > sometime. I think that in order for that to be in M5, though,
we'll
> > need some group discussion after getting a chance to test drive it
> > bit.
> >
> > Thoughts?
> >
> I'm keen to get it in but it will need some advance warning
> so people can try it in different environments. There may be some
> teething problems and there are
> significant downstream build systems that will be affected.

Right, good points. We'll take another look at this when the trunk
thaws out again.

> Ideally we want it to have the same "API" (./bootstrap; ./configure
> --with-same-options; make),
> where bootstrap and configure are wrappers to the new system.

The cmake system generates Makefiles (and Visual Studio projects,
etc.) from which a regular 'make' is done. Think of cmake replacing
bootstrap and configure. There are similar ways to specify options and
such, and it ends up a pretty direct and simple few commands, even
though they're cmake and make instead of bootstrap, configure, and
make.

We're also keeping tabs on what other projects are doing around cmake
now that the KDE project recently switched to cmake. There's some best
practices being developed; one is at Fedora dealing with building
rpms: http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/cmake

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org