qpid-dev mailing list archives

From "Steve Huston" <shus...@riverace.com>
Subject RE: Changing the release numbering scheme (was Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 21:42:34 GMT
> Aidan Skinner wrote:
> > On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 1:24 PM, Carl Trieloff
> <cctrieloff@redhat.com> wrote:
> >
> >> If we could agree to get 0-10 into the Java Broker in a
> timely fashion and
> >> then change then
> >> go to 1.0, I am fine with that. However, the 'M' is a pain
> and if we don't
> >> reach that point for
> >> the next release I would prefer to go to 0.5 for the next
release.

> > I don't think that adding 0-10 support to the Java broker
> is the only
> > step necessary before we declare ourselves 1.0. I'm not sure that
> > there's a consensus around what would be Qpid 1.0 just now.
>
> What else do you feel is necessary?

I think the API consistency/ease-of-use is more of an issue than the
protocol compatibility.

> For me it's all about interop across
> the different languages, and the biggest part of that is 0-10
> support in the Java broker.

Ok.

> I'd also like to see some progress on protocol neutral
> APIs in other languages, but I actually think thats an area
> where we can whip things into shape with relatively little work.

I think that protocol-neutral API is going to end up a larger effort
than protocol implementation/interop. It ripples very far. It's also
what most newcomers will be affected most by as they start to look at
how to use Qpid for projects.

-Steve

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org