qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Changing the release numbering scheme (was Re: [VOTE] Version Numbers)
Date Tue, 10 Feb 2009 22:25:10 GMT
Steve Huston wrote:
>> Aidan Skinner wrote:
>> timely fashion and
>> and if we don't
> release.
>>> I don't think that adding 0-10 support to the Java broker
>> is the only
>>> step necessary before we declare ourselves 1.0. I'm not sure that
>>> there's a consensus around what would be Qpid 1.0 just now.
>> What else do you feel is necessary?
>
> I think the API consistency/ease-of-use is more of an issue than the
> protocol compatibility.
>
>> For me it's all about interop across
>> the different languages, and the biggest part of that is 0-10
>> support in the Java broker.
>
> Ok.
>
>> I'd also like to see some progress on protocol neutral
>> APIs in other languages, but I actually think thats an area
>> where we can whip things into shape with relatively little work.
>
> I think that protocol-neutral API is going to end up a larger effort
> than protocol implementation/interop. It ripples very far. It's also
> what most newcomers will be affected most by as they start to look at
> how to use Qpid for projects.

I certainly agree consistency and ease-of-use need to be a focus, but
for me the minimum bar for X.0 is that we can update the protocol
version without breaking deployed apps. The current APIs are mostly
there, but there are a few spots where they are a bit too close to the
wire and should have something slightly higher level in place. I think
once we achieve this level then consistency and ease-of-use can be done
with backwards compatible changes.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org