qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Jonathan Robie <jonathan.ro...@redhat.com>
Subject Spring Housecleaning: Client APIs
Date Wed, 11 Feb 2009 15:57:49 GMT
Now that M4 is out, I think this is a good time to do spring
housecleaning on the client APIs. Some of these APIs have a lot of
legacy stuff that we don't really for users, one language does things
differently from another language for historical reasons, and there's a
general need for cleaning up.

I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about it. I suspect we
should start with just C++ and Python, making them more alike one class
at a time, writing scraps of code to compare. Naming conventions and
other idioms should suit the given language, but beyond that, we should
seek consistency, so that it's straightforward to look at a C++ client
program and translate it to Python, and vice versa.

Once Python is done, translating that to Ruby is straightforward. We'll
have our quarterly argument about whether to create a Java API that is
consistent with the other languages too, but let's postpone that for now.

Does this make sense? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this?

Jonathan

P.S., I think the management console APIs should be part of this as well.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org