qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Python, C++: Connecting, creating a session
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 08:51:07 GMT
Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Jonathan Robie wrote:
>> C++ seems simpler and cleaner to me here. You create a Connection
>> object, open it, then use it to create a Session object:
>>
>> C++:
>> =====
>>
>> Connection connection;
>>
>> try {
>>   connection.open(host, port);
>>   Session session =  connection.newSession();
>>

>> Python is more complex, because it requires:
>>
>>    * a socket object
>>    * connection.start()
>>    * a unique identifier that I specify
>>

>> Python:
>> ======
>>
>> socket = connect(host, port)
>> connection = Connection (sock=socket, username=user, password=password)
>> connection.start()
>> session = connection.session(str(uuid4()))
>>

>> Should we make the Python API ape C++ here?
>
> Here are my thoughts in no particular order:
>
>  - How does the C++ connect work without a username and password?

That can be specified on Connection::open() either through the passed in
ConnectionSetttings (preferred at present as this allows setting of
various options including tcp/ssl/rdma) or as arguments with defaults in
the other two cases.

>  - I can buy adding a static convenience method similar to the C++ one,
> although I'd expect a username and password somewhere as well. I think
> we should preserve the ability to pass in a socket from an arbitrary
> source though. This can be quite handy.
>
>  - I think the C++ API should probably permit an explicitly chosen
> session name as well, but the certainly both could default to creating
> the uuid when no session name is specified.

A user supplied name can indeed be passed in to the
Connection::newSession() method in c++ and defaults to a uuid if none is
specified.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org