qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Python, C++: Connecting, creating a session
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:40:46 GMT
Gordon Sim wrote:
>>  - How does the C++ connect work without a username and password?
>
> That can be specified on Connection::open() either through the passed in
> ConnectionSetttings (preferred at present as this allows setting of
> various options including tcp/ssl/rdma) or as arguments with defaults in
> the other two cases.

My initial inclination would be to do that through keyword args in
python rather than having an extra ConnectionSettings object. Is there a
specific reason the ConnectionSettings way is preferred for C++ or is it
just style?

>>  - I can buy adding a static convenience method similar to the C++
>> one, although I'd expect a username and password somewhere as well. I
>> think we should preserve the ability to pass in a socket from an
>> arbitrary source though. This can be quite handy.
>>
>>  - I think the C++ API should probably permit an explicitly chosen
>> session name as well, but the certainly both could default to creating
>> the uuid when no session name is specified.
>
> A user supplied name can indeed be passed in to the
> Connection::newSession() method in c++ and defaults to a uuid if none is
> specified.

What happens if you call newSession() and supply the same name twice?
The python API returns the old session, which is why the method is
called session rather than newSession or createSession or some such.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org