qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Gordon Sim <g...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Python, C++: Connecting, creating a session
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 11:56:40 GMT
Rafael Schloming wrote:
> Gordon Sim wrote:
>>>  - How does the C++ connect work without a username and password?
>>
>> That can be specified on Connection::open() either through the passed
>> in ConnectionSetttings (preferred at present as this allows setting of
>> various options including tcp/ssl/rdma) or as arguments with defaults
>> in the other two cases.
>
> My initial inclination would be to do that through keyword args in
> python rather than having an extra ConnectionSettings object. Is there a
> specific reason the ConnectionSettings way is preferred for C++ or is it
> just style?

There are a fair amount of different options and a separate struct to
hold them seemed cleaner in c++. I wouldn't view that as something that
had to be identical in python though.

>>>  - I can buy adding a static convenience method similar to the C++
>>> one, although I'd expect a username and password somewhere as well. I
>>> think we should preserve the ability to pass in a socket from an
>>> arbitrary source though. This can be quite handy.
>>>
>>>  - I think the C++ API should probably permit an explicitly chosen
>>> session name as well, but the certainly both could default to
>>> creating the uuid when no session name is specified.
>>
>> A user supplied name can indeed be passed in to the
>> Connection::newSession() method in c++ and defaults to a uuid if none
>> is specified.
>
> What happens if you call newSession() and supply the same name twice?
> The python API returns the old session, which is why the method is
> called session rather than newSession or createSession or some such.

You would get an error due to the session being in use. In the c++ api
the newSession() always returns a new session.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org