qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Rafael Schloming <rafa...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Qpid Documentation page
Date Thu, 12 Feb 2009 19:27:55 GMT
Marnie McCormack wrote:
> Being honest, I like the old page far better - escpecially since I just
> added to it/updated it :-)
>
> From my pov, I think it's quite frustrating that all the
> broker/implementation boundaries are becoming blurred in the docs & the way
> we link to them.
>
> For example, the FAQ is not a Qpid wide FAQ and does not make clear which
> features are present in which broker (see the paradigms/features/performance
> info). For now, the reality is that the language/implementation does matter
> and we should diverge the docs down those lines rather than try to maintain
> a set of 'this is now' docs.

Believe it or not I've never actually read our documentation, however
the controversy here inspired me to take a look, and now I feel the need
  to supply the perspective from a fresh set of eyes.

Comparing just the two top level pages, I found the DocumentationB page
to be better organized. I felt like it was obvious how to find the
documentation for a given area.

That said, when clicking down through the links underneath the general
portion, I have to agree that what is presented as the general FAQ is
really mostly about the C++ broker, and the How To guides seem buried at
the end of the FAQ page rather than being a top level link underneath
the respective brokers.

So my 2 cents would be keep the top level organization from
DocumentationB, but add the How To pages in as links underneath the
respective brokers, and pull most of the stuff from the "General" FAQ
into the C++ specific FAQ/HowTo page linked to from the C++ Broker section.

--Rafael

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org