qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Ted Ross <tr...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: QMF / QMan Events handling
Date Tue, 17 Feb 2009 13:50:32 GMT
Andrea Gazzarini wrote:
> Hi Ted, long time no see :)
>
> Just a question about how should be events handling on QMan...
> This is the current situation :
>
> - When a new event or object content message is received, a new MBean
> is built on the fly (this really happens on JMX core) ;
> - JMX Core notifies the WS-DM adapter about that MBean metadata
> (properties & methods);
> - WS-DM Adapter builds WS artifacts; I mean, all resources needed to
> expose the mbean (the qpid entity) as Web Service (WSDL, RMD,
> capability class);
> - WS-DM Adapter has two "lifecycle" topics : one for events and
> another one for objects. Therefore a message is publihsed on the
> corresponding topic (depending if the qpid message belongs to an
> object or an event). Message has entity info (resource-id, name,
> package, etc) and a type that can be CREATED (events and objects) and
> REMOVED (only objects).
>
> Now, the question :
>
> - Does it make sense to build persistent WS artifacts for events?
> After all they are transient objects so I think the notification (on
> the lifecycle topic) should be enough to inform management clients?
> - If a client connects to QMan do you think it could be interested to
> receive past event notifications? Does QMF give me that capability? If
> it is not implemented we could add that feature on QMan storing
> received events somewhere...In that situation when a management client
> estabilshes a connection with QMan it could request all past events...
> what do you think?
QMF provides the transport for objects and events but does not store old
events.  I think that event storage would typically be done with a
database or a flat-file storage system since you may wish to keep them
for a long time.  Are you asking whether event storage should be a
feature of QMan?  Should it be a separate component with WS-DM
accessibility?

> Regards,
> Andrea

-Ted