qpid-dev mailing list archives

From Alan Conway <acon...@redhat.com>
Subject Re: Release Schedule
Date Fri, 27 Feb 2009 13:58:30 GMT
Gordon Sim wrote:
> Carl Trieloff wrote:

>> It will most likely take a good 3-6 weeks to test a new make system,
>> and deal with all the compat and downstream testing. So we probably
>> have two options
>> - release 0.5 then  do the build update
>> - delay 0.5 for a month or so.
>
> I am not in favour of delaying the release for this. I think the move
> needs more discussion and it would be better to allow ourselves time to
> do that (also fairer to those working on the java side of the project).

Much as I hate to prolong the life of autotools I agree. The build system isn't
a feature as far as users of the release are concerned so it doesn't add value
to the release. The "sigh of relief" after the release will be a good time to
make the change, people will be much more tolerant of build breaks and much more
available to help iron out problems.

Project:      http://qpid.apache.org